Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dare to Dream

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to His power that is at work within us." - Ephesians 3:20 (NIV)

We all have dreams...big dreams, small dreams. A big home, a new car, being debt-free, a great job, perfect children, wonderful friends, no worries....on and on. I'm no different. I have dreams, too. Things I long for, hope for, yearn for. I can talk about them at length with my friends. But, when it comes to talking about them with God...do I dare to ask God to fulfill my dreams? This is something I struggle with a lot.

What are some of my dreams? For the longest time I've wanted to travel to Australia. No time constraints, no money constraints. Just to go and enjoy the country with my husband and our best friends...a once in a lifetime trip! I also want to take my children and grandchildren on a Disney Cruise and spend additional time at Walt Disney World with them....making memories. I'd like a new home...it doesn't have to be huge. A place with enough room for people to come and feel welcome. A big enough place so my friends and family would never have to worry about where they'd live if hard times hit. I dream about being completely out of debt and having plenty of money in the bank. No bills except for the monthly grocery and utility bills. Then I could contribute more to worthwhile charities, to the needs at church, to friends down on their luck. I could do more than just pray for them, although prayer is vital. I could spoil my grandchildren more! I would love to be a size 8! I haven't been that size in 20 years!! I dream of having a yard that could be in Better Homes and Gardens. With green grass and a nice, safe play area for the grandkids. Most of all, though, I dream about all of my friends and family knowing Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Now, I believe some of my dreams are pretty selfish and that's the part I struggle with. I have no problem asking God to open the hearts and eyes of my unsaved friends and family to the salvation that Jesus offers. I have learned to be satisfied with the wonderful blessing of the home he has provided and I know He will make room for as many people as necessary under my roof. But asking for more money than I really need to live on, asking for Him to provide fancy trips, asking to be thinner, asking for the things I think of as selfish....whole other story. Do I think He can't fulfill my dreams and wishes? No, I know He can. I just don't feel like I have the right to ask God for things for myself.

But, you know, whether or not I ask God for them, He knows my dreams. He knows my desires. He knows my heart. Jesus tells me to ask: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!" (Matthew 7:7-11 NIV). He makes it very clear in this passage that I should ask. I should also put my trust in Him to answer my prayers. In Mark 11:24 (NIV), Jesus gives me what I believe is the key to everything I pray for: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." I don't know God's plan for me but I know it's bigger than anything I can think of. My dreams are actually small compared to what God can do and will do in my life. And that leaves me free to trust Him and dare to dream!!

"Allow your dreams a place in your prayers and plans. God-given dreams can help you move into the future He is preparing for you." - Barbara Johnson

Dear God, You know my heart. You know my dreams. I want my first desire to be to serve You with my life. I dream that all those I love will come to know Your Son as their Savior. Give me the courage to dream and to trust in Your plan for me. Remind me of Your love and that it's okay to ask for things for myself. In Jesus' name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment