Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Source of Strength that Never Fails

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

I cried through most of the church service this morning. God was working in me through the words of our Senior Pastor. I was being challenged to step out of my comfort zone and into something that I've always been fearful of: speaking to my non-Christian family and friends about my faith and about their need to accept Jesus as their Savior before it's too late.

It was easier when I was younger to turn my back on this truth. I wasn't going to church on a regular basis. I was in the world. I still had plenty of time to get my life back on track and talk to my family and friends about this. Then I got older and some of my friends passed on. It got harder to talk about it, because I knew I'd look and sound like a hypocrite. Who am I to tell someone else they need Jesus when I wasn't willing to admit that I needed Him? And the fear...the fear of being hated, made fun of, losing friends. I didn't have the strength or the courage to say anything to anybody about my Lord.

I still don't. But, there is a source of strength I can draw on. There is someone whose courage is more powerful than anything I could ever conjure up on my own. The Almighty, the great I Am --- God!! He is all-powerful; He is all-knowing; He is all-loving. Whatever I am lacking in terms of strength and courage, He more than makes up for. He removes the fear I have of confessing that His Son lives in me. The more I walk down the narrow path, the more courage and strength He gives me.

I'm choosing to willingly step out of my comfort zone today. I'm choosing to face my fear. I'm going to proudly hold my head up and let others know that I am a Child of God. He has promised that He will give me all the courage I'll ever need. I can face rejection; I can face hatred; I can face anger....God is the source of the only strength I can count on. He will never fail me. Thank You, Lord!

"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." -- Eleanor Roosevelt 
Heavenly Father, You're all the strength I'll ever need. Whenever I'm fearful, for any reason, let me seek Your strength. Take me out of my comfort zone, Lord, so that I will lean on Your might and not my own. With You by my side, I don't need to fear Satan or rejection, hatred or anger.  May I be filled with the desire and the courage to speak to others about Your Son and the blood He shed for our sins. May I be a courageous disciple for You. In Jesus' name, Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment