Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trusting the Will of God

"The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." - 1 John 2:17 NIV

There are things that happen, in my life and in the lives of others, that I just cannot grasp the reason for. Why do children get terminal illnesses, why do people go hungry and thirsty, why do people murder, why is there so much greediness, why is there so much suffering....why, why, why?! I don't always understand or comprehend God's will. And I never will, at least not in this life. I could spend my whole life questioning God and wondering what His reasons are. Or...I could trust that He knows what He's doing and that everything that happens is under His control. Romans 8:28 NIV tells me this: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him."

The worst thing that ever happened was the death of Jesus Christ. Yet, God used it to bring good to this evil world. Jesus, knowing what He was going to face - the suffering and abuse He was going to endure on my behalf - poured His heart out to God, yet ultimately sought God's will, not His own. I'm not facing anything nearly as daunting as crucifixion, yet there are times I feel like I am. What is my usual reaction? Fear, worry, complaining, asking "why?", asking God to get me out of the situation. Instead of reacting that way, however, maybe I should be seeking God's will for me during these times of trouble and heartache. What is it that He wants me to learn? Do I need to lean on Him more, to have more faith, to be more prayerful, to be more humble and obedient, to be more thankful? THANKFUL?!?! Yes, thankful. God tells me that is part of His will for me: "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV).

Instead of praying, "God, get me out of this situation.", I should be asking God to give me the strength & wisdom to see me through. I should turn to Him for comfort and know that He will never give me more than I can handle. He is right there to lead me, guide me, hold my hand and carry me if needs be. I should be thanking Him for bringing me into a closer relationship with Him by putting me in a situation whereby I must rely on Him to bring me out of. By placing my trust in His will, I can live with peace and joy in my heart, no matter what Satan may place in my path. Little does the devil realize how much he helps God when I choose to seek God's will during troubling circumstances. Satan pushes me right into God's arms!! I'm sure it just drives him crazy! But it pleases God.

Trusting the will of God isn't always easy; but it's always right. It's always rewarded. It allows me to endure the most painful things in life with peace and calm. I desire to live a life that pleases Him and to trust His will in all circumstances. God willing, I will.

"The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you." - Anonymous

Father God, I want to trust Your will for me. I desire to live a life that pleases You. Lord, let me trust in Your power and lean on You for strength & wisdom to see me through the hard times. May I not ask You to get me out of a situation, but turn to You to show me what You want me to learn from it. May each hardship bring me closer in my relationship to You and to Your Son. Your will be done in my life, today and each day. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment