Friday, September 2, 2011

Trust Without Reservation

"Trust Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge." - Psalm 62:8 (NIV)

We Christians are funny creatures. When life is rolling along smoothly, our future looks bright and we are excited about the circumstances we are in, we can trust God completely. We thank Him and praise Him for His goodness and we are confident He hears our prayers and trust that life will just be wonderful. BUT, when we hit bumps in the road, the future is a bit murky and uncertain and we can't see any way out, our faith falters and our trust becomes shaky. Just at the point in time when we should be trusting Him without reservation, we lose hope. Why is that? Hmmm.

Well, I can't speak for you but I can tell you, for myself, it's usually been a worthiness issue. When trials and troubles are happening to me, I tend to ask myself, "What have I done that I'm being punished for? Whatever it is, I don't have the right to ask God to fix it. Why should He? Oh, it's an impossible situation anyway. Who do I think I am to believe that God will take care of this?" or something along those lines. Total and complete malarkey, that's what that type of thinking is!! God is waiting for me to believe, He is waiting for me to ask. This verse tells me exactly what I need to do in this situation...TRUST HIM!! In my heart, I know God can do the impossible. In my heart, I know God answers prayers. In my heart, I know He keeps His promises. But, in my head, I doubt, I fear, I falter. I allow Satan to wreak havoc with my faith. There's that little voice telling me that there's no way God is going to answer me, I'm asking too much or, if He does answer, it's not going to be the answer I want because I don't deserve it. And, unfortunately, there are times I listen to my head instead of my heart. Shame on me! I have a choice as to whether to stay stuck in head and allow my disbelief and unworthiness to steal my faith or to allow my heart to take over and trust God and His promises without reservation, totally and completely. To take refuge in Him and know that He is in complete control of my life, no matter what is happening. As I've been studying His Word more and more, and am beginning to understand His promises and His commandments (and there are both in this verse!), I am learning to choose to follow my heart more often than my head. I still find myself on shaky ground sometimes, my trust wavering a bit, but God, through His Word, puts me back on a firm foundation of faith. THANK YOU, LORD!!

If you're going through trials right now, I hope you"re placing your life in God's hands. I hope you are praying and reading your Bible. I hope you're choosing to trust the plan He has for your life. Take refuge in Him; there's no safer place to be during life's storms.

"The Lord will either calm your storm....or allow it to rage while He calms you." - Anonymous
Dear Lord, when I trust in You, I am at peace. Let me have unfaltering faith in Your Word and Your promises. As I walk through the trials of this life, may I always look to You and know that You have a plan for me. Remind me, Lord, of Your love for me and that I am worthy to ask of You anything and everything. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment