Saturday, September 3, 2011

What...Me Worry?

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own." - Matthew 6:33-34 (NIV)

I've never been much of a worrier. As I've said before, I'm much more an optimist than a pessimist. However, as God continues to prune me and teach me discipline in the area of my finances and my spending, I find that there are times when worries about bills coming due and "what ifs" start bouncing around my brain. They bring a weight to my shoulders, fear into my heart and what feels like a rock to the pit of my stomach. I don't like feeling that way. Well, guess what? God says I don't have to feel that way....ever!!

When those feelings of worry begin to steal over me, all I have to do is take them to God. I love how I feel when God takes over. The worries and fears leave me; the weight on my shoulders and the rock in my stomach are removed. I feel light and unburdened. Does that mean the things I was worried about have been taken care of? Maybe...maybe not. It doesn't matter because I have given God control over them and am trusting in His promises that He never breaks. 1 Corinthians 14:33 tells me: "For God is not a God of disorder but of peace." I love it!! In Luke 10:39-42 Jesus disciplines Martha for "worrying about many things" instead of focusing on "what is better" - JESUS! There are so many places in the Bible where God instructs us to stop worrying. He tells us He WILL take care of us, He WILL meet our needs and He WILL provide. When we truly believe that, the peace He gives is unmatched.

As this verse in Matthew points out, I must first seek God. Not rely on myself or this world to take care of my worries and problems. That never works out. But I can testify to the fact that, when I allow God to take over, He provides. Even though work has been very slow for us for the last few months and income has been sporadic....our house payment has never been late, our utilities haven't been shut off, our car hasn't been repossessed, we haven't gone hungry, we still have gas to get to the places we need to go, I haven't had to go to the doctor, and we've been able to enjoy outings with friends and family....all because I choose to give God control and leave my worries about money in His hands.

You may not be worried about your finances. God may have blessed you in that area of your life. But I'll bet there are other things you're worried about - a health problem, a broken relationship, an addiction, work, your marriage, your children, friends, family, the economy, war, problems in other countries....so many things. God tells us to "cast all our anxiety on Him" (Luke 5:7) and to "not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present our requests" to Him (Philippians 4:6). When we do as God commands, and give over all of our worries and fears to Him, then we can look around us and say, "What...me worry?! No way!!"

"No one can pray and worry at the same time." - Max Lucado

Almighty God, when I find myself giving in to worry and fear, help me to trust You and place them in Your hands. I want to seek You first in all things. I want to cast my anxieties on You. Teach me to lean on You and seek the peace only You can provide. Let me live hopefully, peacefully, prayerfully and faithfully every day. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment