Saturday, October 22, 2011

Expectations

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." - Hebrews 10:23 (NIV)

Expectations. Anticipation. Outlook. Hope. Do I start each day looking forward to what the day might bring? Do I anticipate that God is going to do wonderful things for me today? Is my outlook on life sunny and full of hope? Some days yes; some days no.

It all depends on my plans for the day. If, like today, I have a day full of fun things planned, I wake up excited, anticipating spending time with family and friends. If I have a day full of work planned, not so excited. Yet, in this verse, God tells me to "hold unswervingly to the hope" I profess. In other words, I should expect His best for me today and everyday.

Today is God's gift to me. He didn't promise today to me; He gave it to me. And, since He gave me this day to treasure, who am I to be unhappy with it? Psalm 118:24 (NIV) reminds me that, "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." He doesn't tell me to just think about rejoicing about the day ahead. He doesn't say be happy only if I have something good planned. There are no caveats or excuses. I should be expecting blessings, should be actively looking for them.

God intends for us to live each day to the fullest, whether it's working overtime at a job we really don't like or spending the day with people we really do like. Whether we wake up with the "blahs" or we wake up overflowing with joy. If we profess to be Christians, we really have no excuse not to celebrate the day. Jesus is alive and well and sitting at the right hand of God, isn't He? He gives us the hope of eternity in Heaven and life everlasting, doesn't He? Everything else in our life is bonus!!

God is faithful. God loves me unconditionally. God keeps His promises. God is awesome, all-powerful, benevolent, merciful and gracious. God is hope. Everyday begins and ends with Him. There is always something to be thankful for. It's up to me to expect it and be looking for it.

"Put your expectations on God, not on people." - Joyce Meyer

Awesome God, You've gifted me with another beautiful day. Let me celebrate it and expect blessings from You. I pray that I will live today to it's fullest; tomorrow is not a given. May I share the hope that You've given me, in the form of Your Son, Jesus, with all those I come into contact with today, so that they may also begin to expect Your blessings in their lives. Thank You for being such a faithful, loving God. In Jesus' name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment