Thursday, August 18, 2011

God's Hands

"If the Lord delights in a man's ways, He makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand." - Psalm 37:23-24 (NIV)
I have to be honest this morning. I have been stumbling the last few hours, actually since yesterday afternoon. Satan has been hard at work, trying to destroy my joy and peace. He's been filling me with fears & worries about bills, lack of work, anger, discouragement & impatience. And, I gave in...for a while. I had my pity party, my woe is me time and then I turned to God. I prayed (well, it was actually more like begging) to God to take control. I asked for forgiveness for my lack of faith. I asked Him to lift the burden that Satan was placing on my shoulders and replace it with His courage and strength. I asked Him to restore my joy and peace. I laid each of my worries at His feet, I counted each of my blessings, I thanked Him for both the wonderful and not so wonderful things going on in my life right now. I prayed that His will, His plan for my life be done and not my own. And I trusted. And you know what - He answered! He lead me out of Satan's grasp through His Word.

First, with verses I am memorizing:
  - Romans 12:12 - "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."
  - 1 Thessalonians  5:16-18 - "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all
    circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
  - Philippians 4:6 - "Do not be anxious in anything, but in everything, by prayer and
    petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
  - Psalm 37:4 - "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your
    heart."

Second, with the devotional called "Jesus Calling". Summarized, it basically reminded me to expect adversity in my life that is beyond my own ability to handle. It's the best place to encounter God and deepen my faith.

Third, with the verses above. These verses let me know that I am going to stumble, I'm human after all, but He is there to lift me back up, to keep me from falling. When I turn to God, when I lay my problems in His hands and lean on Him, Satan doesn't have a snowballs chance in (you know where!) of taking over. Again, being honest - my peace and joy have been restored. My situation hasn't changed but God has changed my outlook. His hands are holding me up today and I give thanks for His Word. He knew exactly what I needed and provided it this morning.

Dear God, I know You are greater than this world and the troubles I face. I stand on Your promises and Your assurances. Forgive me when I stumble. Let me lean on You for strength and courage. Fill me with Your joy and peace. Lead me in Your will today and let me live according to Your plans for my life. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment