Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recharging My Batteries

"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

Some days, no matter what I do, nothing seems to get done. I'll start the day with a list of things I need to do but at the end of the day, I haven't crossed one thing off the list. There will still be dishes in the sink, laundry that hasn't been done, groceries that didn't get bought, bills that didn't get paid, emails that I didn't respond to, phone calls that I didn't return....what in the world did I do all day?? And, to top it all off, I'm exhausted!! How does that happen?

This verse tells me exactly what happens on those days. I didn't turn to God for the wisdom to prioritize my day. I just took off on my own strength, my own "batteries". I didn't say no to the things I should have. I don't know about you, but I tend to fit as much into a 24-hour time period as I possibly can. As soon as my feet hit the floor, I'm off and running. Gotta do this, gotta do that, gotta go here, gotta go there. Round and round and round! Busy, busy, busy! To the point of exhaustion, irritation, anger. I'm unable to enjoy any leisure time because the list of things I still have to do keeps running through my brain. Gotta keep on going, keep on going, keep on going. Like the Energizer Bunny. Until God, in His ultimate wisdom, says, "ENOUGH! Talk with me. Let me help."

When I start my day in prayer and in His Word and ask for His wisdom to guide me through my day, things get done. I cross things off my "to do" list. He gives me the strength to get through my day and not become tired and irritated. At the end of the day, I can sit back, relax and enjoy my family and friends without anything "undone" running through my head. He knows exactly what my priorities should be. If I need to be like the Energizer Bunny and keep going, He will provide the strength for me to do so. He will recharge my "batteries". Recharging through God....what an awesome way to get through my day!

"The strength that we claim from God's Word does not depend on circumstances. Circumstances will be difficult, but our strength will be sufficient." - Corrie ten Boom

Awesome Father, I ask You for the wisdom to prioritize my day. Give me the strength to fulfill my responsibilities. Open my eyes to what is important and what isn't. Give me the courage and grace to say "No" to the unimportant things. Recharge my "batteries" today, Lord. It's in Jesus' name I pray, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment