Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why Am I So Afraid?

"He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then He got up and rebuked the wind and the waves, and it was completely calm." - Matthew 8:26 (NIV)

Storms of life are inevitable - they're going to come whether I like it or not. Nothing I say or do is going to stop them from forming. Unfortunately, my first reaction, like the disciples', is to worry and fear. The reason for that is, again like the disciples', not enough faith. And every time it happens, I hear Jesus asking me, "Why are you so afraid?"

The Bible tells me over and over to trust God and not worry. My heart knows that; my head is another matter. Worry begins in the brain. Satan takes over my thoughts. In my heart I know Jesus can calm the storm; my head asks, "How?". My heart knows I should leave it to Jesus to handle; my head tells me, "You've got to figure this out!". Why am I so afraid to leave it in His more than capable hands? Because I take my focus off of Him and place it on the problem. I lose the self-control I blogged about a couple of days ago. It's during the storm that I need to lean on 2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV): "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ." I have to choose to take control of my thoughts. Choose to bring my focus back to Jesus. Choose to become obedient to Him and His Word. Choose to trust God and refuse to worry. Choose to not be afraid.

I LOVE the last five words of this verse: "and it was completely calm". What a powerful statement! What a way to live my life! Completely calm and unafraid. Is it possible? Oh, yeah!! Exodus 15:2a (NIV) gives me the basis for believing that possibility: "The Lord is my strength and my song". God's strength can empower me to weather any storm, if I choose to lean on Him. He can help me find His song, His joy, in any situation, if I choose to allow His Presence to fill me. By myself, my storms will overwhelm me. The winds of worry and waves of fear will overpower me. I choose to take my thoughts captive today and stand firm on God's promises. Today, I won't worry and God will take care of tomorrow. Completely calm and unafraid.

"Faith in God is the antidote to worry. Faith in God is the foundation of courage and the source of power." - Daily Devotions

Awesome God, thank You for this reminder that I don't have to be afraid. Help me to take my thoughts captive and make them obedient to Christ. Fill me with faith to trust You and Your promises and know that I am safe and secure against the storms of this life. I choose to lean on Your strength and be filled with Your joy today. I pray this in Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment