Tuesday, December 20, 2011

God's Instruction Book

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." - Psalm 119:105 NIV

"The Bible is like no other book. Treat it that way!" - Marie T. Freeman. These words are so true. The Bible is God's instructions for our lives. It's a living thing. As my devotional says, it's "a transforming, life-changing, one-of-a-kind treasure." 

In Matthew 4:4 NIV, Jesus reminds me that, "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." The Bible comes from the mouth of God. Paul says in 2 Timothy 3:16 NIV that, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." I've been asked if I believe every word the Bible says. My answer: YES I DO!! There may be some things in there that are hard to believe as a human being, but I take it on faith that it's true. The fish swallowing Jonah then spitting him out, Sarah & Elizabeth getting pregnant in their old age, the walls of Jericho falling down just by trumpets blowing....all beyond human comprehension. They are supernatural things to me, but, as my pastor keeps pointing out - they're all natural for God.

So, how do I know what God's instructions are for me? By studying my Bible and meditating on what it's meaning is for my life. I said earlier that the Bible is a living thing...how do I know that? Because I may study a verse or passage in the Bible more than once and each time it means something different to me. I may use it as instruction the first time I read it, then it may be more of a comfort to me the next time. God may lead me to that same passage to help me through a difficult time or to correct me when I've strayed. It's an amazing book that I'll never get tired of.

I'm learning so much from my Bible study each day...how much He loves me, what His will is for my life, how I'm expected to act, think and speak. This verse in Psalms is so, so true - God's Word does show me the path I'm to walk as I live as a child of His. My desire to study the Bible increases every time I open it's covers and read through it's pages. It does teach me, it does rebuke me, it does correct me and it is training me in righteousness. Thank You God for Your instruction book!!

"When the child of God looks into the Word of God, he sees the Son of God. And, he is transformed by the Spirit of God to share in the glory of God." - Warren Wiersbe

Dear Heavenly Father, I will use Your Word as my guide. I will study it, meditate on it's meaning for me, treasure it. I will take the time each day to trust You to speak to me through it. Let me turn to Your Word for comfort, for answers, for teaching, for correction...for Your guidance, dear Lord. Thank You for Your Holy Word. In Jesus' name, Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment