Monday, December 19, 2011

Hope in God

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." - Psalm 42:11 NIV

This is supposed to be the happiest time of the year, yet this is the time of year that depresses a lot of people. Too many presents to buy, too little money. Too many parties to go to, too little time. Too many demands, too little of us to go around. Too many....too little.

This verse asks two very good questions. Why are we downcast? Why are we upset? The focus of this time of year should not be on the presents, the parties, the cooking, the cleaning or the myriad other things we tend to concentrate on as Christmas approaches. As the psalmist says, we should be putting our "hope in God". Jesus is why we're celebrating! Not so the retailers can get in the "black". Not so we can have a tree with presents piled around it. Not so we can party hearty. The only way to have peace and joy during the holidays is to focus on Jesus and allow our Heavenly Father to fill us with His presence. Once we do that, it no longer matters if there are only a few presents under the tree. It no longer matters if we have to turn down a few parties. It no longer matters if all the cooking and cleaning gets done. Depression be gone!! Joy, unspeakable joy, fills our hearts. We know the true meaning of this holiday. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!!

I'm putting my hope in God this season. I'm praising and thanking Him for His goodness and mercy. I'm trusting Him to provide. There's no room in my heart for depression or turmoil. May you find the hope of this season in God and in His greatest gift...Jesus Christ!!

"If you hope for happiness in the world, hope for it from God, and not from the world." - David Brainerd

Dear God, I put my hope in You. I bring you my fears, my worries and my anxieties and leave them in Your hands. Fill me, instead, with Your peace and joy. May I be reminded of the reason I am celebrating during this season....Your Beloved Son, Jesus Christ. Knowing that He willingly came to earth to take on my sin and die for me so that I can have eternal life is the greatest gift I could ever receive. Thank you, Jesus, for loving me. In His precious name, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment