Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Benefits & Consequences

"Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil." - Proverbs 3:7 (NIV)

I've made decisions that have turned out really well - marrying Dennis, for one! I've also made decisions that have turned out not so well - such as spending money instead of saving it. But, until I took several leadership/personal growth seminars, I never thought of every decision I make as having both benefits and consequences. If I choose to sleep longer in the morning, the benefit is I feel more rested but the consequence is that I have to rush to get everything done that day. If I choose to eat out instead of cooking at home, the benefit is that I don't have dishes to wash and a kitchen to clean but the consequence is that I spent money that could have gone into savings or towards paying bills and getting out of debt. I have the same benefits and consequences when choosing whether or not to include God in my life and in my decisions. The benefits are amazing: inner peace, joy, abundance, courage, strength, wisdom...just to name a few. The consequences are overwhelming: anxiety, fear, anger, suffering, chaos...the list can go on.

So, you would think my choice would be easy, right? Why wouldn't I choose to lean on God and his wisdom when the benefits are so wonderful and the consequences so disastrous? Because I allow Satan to fool me into believing what this verse tells me not to be: wise in my own eyes. What a joke!! My wisdom is so limited. I could read every book, I could take every class in college, I could travel, I could spend time learning from the smartest people on this planet and my wisdom would still be so far short of God's as to be laughable. He knows all, He sees all. I can't say the same.

As soon as I open my eyes in the morning, the first choice I make is whether or not to live the day according to God's commandments. Am I going to start my day in prayer and Bible study? The benefits - calm, peace and joy. The consequences - anxiety, anger and restlessness. I make so many decisions during the day - big and small - and God wants to be a part of every one of them. I know that when I seek His wisdom for my choices, I will make the correct decision, every time. When I rely on my own wisdom - well, let's just say it's not always pretty and leave it at that!

Are you seeking God's wisdom in your life? Or are you relying on your own? What are the benefits and consequences you are experiencing because of the decisions you make? God is available 24/7 for us to turn to and lean on for guidance. He will never steer us wrong. That's one benefit I look forward to!!

"God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him." - Anonymous

Dear Heavenly Father, Your wisdom is limitless while mine is so limited. Help me to choose wisely today. May I bask in the benefits of Your guidance and not in the consequences of my foolishness. Lead me today, and every day, in the footsteps of Your Son. It's in His name I pray, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment