Saturday, September 10, 2011

God: Our Burden-Bearer

"Do not be anxious in anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." - Philippians 4:6 (NIV)

This is the first verse the Lord lead me to memorize when I began to study His Word. I never thought of myself as much of a "worrier". I wasn't one of those moms that rushed her kids to the doctor if they sneezed, had a runny nose or a slight fever. I treated them at home. I didn't worry about the things that were being reported on the news. I always figured God was in control and there was nothing I could do about it anyway. Even though I wasn't what I considered a "worrier" to be, I was still anxious about certain things. And, as I was out of the Lord's will at the time, they would weigh me down, become burdens and eat away at me. I would become angry at the least little thing, taking it out on whoever was closest - usually my husband and children. The only time I ever prayed and turned it over to God  was when I couldn't find a solution on my own first.

Basically, I was telling God that I didn't need Him, I didn't trust Him or His promises. Very arrogant of me! But, you know what? He never turned His back on me. He never gave up on me. As I began to find my way back to Him, He pointed out to me my lack of faith in Him through this verse. And I began to trust Him. I began to turn my worries over to Him first. I began relying less on my own abilities and more on my Lord's. He lead me to two other passages: Romans 12:12 - "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer" and 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus". He opened my heart to the peace and joy that can take the place of my worry and fear. He opened my eyes to the many blessings I have to be thankful for. I am able make the most of each day because I choose to live this verse. I believe I am a much calmer, happier, loving woman because of that choice.

If you find yourself burdened by worry, anxiety, fear or sorrow, why don't you do as God asks and present them to Him? Wrap them up, tie them with a bow and give them to God. Leave them in His more than capable hands and go about your day with peace in your heart and much lighter steps. As Corrie ten Boom observed, "We are not called to be burden-bearers, but cross-bearers and light-bearers. We must cast our burdens on the Lord.".

"The more you trust Jesus and keep your eyes focused on Him, the more life you'll have. Trusting God brings life. Believing brings rest. So stop trying to figure everything out, and let God be God in your life." - Joyce Meyer

Heavenly Father, I want to thank You for being my burden-bearer. Thank You, Lord, that I don't have to live my days weighed down by my worries and fears. I trust You to take care of me and meet my needs. I trust in Your will for my life. Continue to lead me to passages in Your Word that show me how to become a stronger Christian. May I be a cross-bearer and light-bearer for you today. In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment