Monday, September 5, 2011

Words vs. Actions

"But just as He who called you is Holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written, 'Be holy, because I am Holy'." - 1 Peter 1:15-16 (NIV)

We've all heard that old saying, "Actions speak louder than words". When you think about what they mean, nothing could be more true. We can say one thing but by our actions show our true self. We can apologize for something but, if we turn around and do the same thing again, we weren't really sorry.  We can promise to do something for someone but, if that something never gets done, it shows what our true intentions are. The same goes for how we live our lives as Christians.

When I proclaim to others that I am a Christian, that I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and have been saved by God's grace, then my actions better match my words. That is one of the responsibilities that God requires of me. I know so many people who say, "Christians are hypocrites. They tell you how you should live but they're out there doing the same thing as everyone else.". The truth is, they're right. It's easy to be holy when we're in church, at a church function or around other Christians. But, the minute we're out in the world, we act like the rest of the world does, while condemning the world for how it acts. That is hypocritical, no matter how you look at it. And then, we want to complain because life is so hard, God isn't blessing us, He isn't answering our prayers. Well, why should He?

Jesus is the example I want to base my actions on. I want to love like He does...He laid down His life for me. I want to see others as He sees them - not in judgement or criticism but as souls that are lost. I want to trust as He does - completely and totally in God our Father. I want my actions to prove my beliefs. I know I'm human, I'm a sinner. I know I'm going to do things that don't honor God, however, I would pray that I don't do them intentionally. I want to behave myself as a Godly woman and be a powerful example of Jesus' love and God's grace. I intend to be more watchful of what I do, where I go, how I act and what I say. I intend that my actions be consistent with my beliefs and reflect God's truth and love. I know by doing so that I will be pleasing God and He will bless me in ways I cannot fully understand. How do I know that? Well, God's Word tells me so and His actions always speak louder than His Word!!

"You can't compromise and conquer sin at the same time." - Anonymous

Dear Lord, I believe in You. I proclaim You as my Lord and Savior. I pray that I bring honor to You, not in just what I say, but also in how I act. May others be drawn to You through my words and actions.  May I never compromise my beliefs just to fit in. Lead me to base my actions on the example Jesus' set for me and reflect Your truth and love. In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment