Monday, October 24, 2011

In Times of Tragedy

"For I am the Lord, who heals you." - Exodus 15:26b (NIV)

Tragedy hits when we least expect it. And, as we age, we are faced with more and more of it. Illness, divorce, natural disasters, lost jobs, death....each and every one of us has been or will be faced with tragedy at some time in our lives. I don't know about you, but I struggle with finding the right words to say to someone whose heart has been broken. "I'm so sorry." projects my feelings, but beyond that, I don't want to compound the pain by saying or doing the wrong thing.

Thankfully, God is available and present. In Psalm 34:18 (NIV) He tells us this: "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." And in Psalm 147:3 (NIV) He says, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Lastly, God promises never to give us more than we can bear: "And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV). God is the Great Healer and Comforter. He is the one to turn to in times of pain and tragedy. Through Him comes strength to face each day. When we think we can't take the next step, He will carry us until we're able to stand on our own again.

So, it's not up to me to know what to say and do. I don't need to spew platitudes that aren't welcome or aren't needed. What I need to do is pray, turn to God during these times and trust in Him to bring the comfort and healing that is necessary. He will show me what I need to do or say at the right time. Maybe it's just being with that person, loving on them and letting them grieve. To give them support and show them God's love through listening and crying with them. Maybe it's running their errands for them or cleaning their home or feeding them. Maybe, when they're ready, it's praying with them. Whatever the need may be, God knows what it is. He is available and able to bring healing, even to the most broken heart.

"No matter what you're going through, there's no pit so deep that God can't reach in and get you out." - Joyce Meyer

Dear God, Your Word promises me that You will heal the brokenhearted. I pray for those who are hurting today, Lord. Whether it be from an illness, from a job loss, from financial difficulties, from the loss of a loved one...whatever is causing the pain, God, I lift them up to You for comfort and healing. May they feel Your Presence and love surrounding them during these difficult times. And, Lord, I ask that You use me as You see fit to help in the healing process. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment