Friday, October 28, 2011

God's Wisdom, Not My Own

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." - James 1:5 (NIV)

I believe I'm a fairly smart person. I have common sense. I'm good with numbers (I better be, I'm an accountant and tax preparer!). I love to read and learn. I follow directions well. Given time, I can figure out a solution to most problems. I have knowledge but I lack wisdom. I lack God's wisdom.

It's not because God doesn't want me to have His wisdom; He says here in James that I should ask Him for His wisdom. The problem is I don't ask for it. Well, that's not exactly true. I do ask for God's wisdom but it's usually when I'm in the middle of a crisis or after I've made a bad decision. Maybe I've said or done something I shouldn't have and hurt someone because of it. Maybe I gave into temptation and had that second (or third!) doughnut. Maybe I bought something I didn't really need and now I can't pay one of my bills. Could be any number of things! That's when I usually think to myself, "Why did I do that? What was I thinking?", realize that I wasn't thinking at the time and then ask God to give me His wisdom in how to repair the damage, if possible, and guide me back to His will.

What I should do is ask God for His wisdom and guidance BEFORE I make any decisions and get myself into trouble. I need his help, his wisdom and guidance in every aspect of my life. I need His wisdom to remind me to ask for His wisdom!! How crazy is that!? Praise God for the words in this verse "who gives generously to all without finding fault"! He doesn't find fault with me in my craziness, how comforting is that phrase!!

All I have to do is ask God for his help. "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord." (James 1:6-7 NIV). When I ask, in faith, believing, God will answer. He will give generously of His wisdom, so that I don't have to rely on my own.

"God does not guide those who want to run their own life. He only guides those who admit their need of His direction and rely on His wisdom." - Winkie Pratney

Dear Lord, I am asking for Your wisdom and guidance today. May I turn to You first in all aspects of my life. Give me Your wisdom in my thoughts, my words and my actions.  Lead me in Your ways, Lord. May everything I do today be pleasing and glorifying to You. In faith and Jesus' name I ask this, Amen.











No comments:

Post a Comment